Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

Tonight, the hubs and I made dinner together. Usually, we're running around like crazy people trying to get food ready so the girls can eat and get to bed. Tonight we started early enough that we made something we really wanted, together. And it tasted fabulous. Yes, we could have ran to the store. And yes, we could have just thrown some hotdogs in the microwave. But we had the time and I'll take any excuse whatsoever to use my rolling pin. We found the recipe here, but I'll post it here too.

Here is the recipe and a few pictures:

4 C flour (You can do all white, all wheat, or half and half of each.)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 C shortening
1 to 1 1/4 C water
waxed paper

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour. When it looks crumbly, add the water and stir well. (If it looks too dry, add a little bit of water.) When it forms a ball, knead it about 20 times. Let it rest in the bowl around 10 minutes. Form it into 10-12 equal-sized balls. Roll them in flour and place them on the waxed paper. I smashed them with my palm to flatten them out a bit. Then we rolled them as flat as we could. The dough was very elastic and they seemed to bounce back, so ours were a bit thick... Anyway, slap it down on a hot dry skillet. Check it after about 30 seconds for the brown spots. Flip and cook the other side the same way.

From the site:
"Homemade tortillas are not as flexible as store-bought tortillas. To make them more flexible, place them in a plastic bag while still warm, and let them cool right there in the bag. The steam will make them more pliable, and easier to roll up into fancy burrito shapes. This recipe makes about a dozen tortillas."



The hubs rolling out the dough. 
We doubled a batch and had so much leftover.
Did I already mention how much I love my rolling pin...?
Fry until you get the light brown spots.
There really is no better way to say this.  
Dinner is served!
I am not a big fan of tomatoes. Okay, I don't like them. At all. But I want to, I really do. They're pretty. And they smell good. I try them once every year just to make sure I still don't like them. I tried them tonight on the chicken tacos and they weren't too bad. I'm thinking of trying them twice a year, just in case.
And while they aren't my favorite, I love ketchup. {:

2 comments:

  1. I am not a tomato fan either, but I am warming up to them gradually. I like them in tacos and burritos, but not sandwiches. I'll be trying out that recipe when life gets less crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took about an hour and a half to make these. This is definitely for a night when you are bored out of your minds, but want tasty tortillas.
    And I will try a tomato on a burger next time, but I reserve the right to take it off if it doesn't taste right. {:

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.