Monday, July 11, 2011

Delicious Accidental Brilliance

I hope you're not on a diet. Even if you are, don't worry. I used "lite" sour cream. {:
I may have discovered something amazing here. Last night I decided to make cupcakes because my biological mother, her boyfriend, my little sister, and her friend came up for dinner today. (Yes, my family is large and extended. Someday, I will draw a diagram.) So, I looked at Whipperberry's Amazing Chocolate Cake recipe, and this recipe for Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes, and subconsciously mixed them up. I had both recipes swimming around in my head, and ended up using ingredients from both. I should have written it down, but they still turned out great and it isn't too far from the originals. This is what I ended up with:
  • 1 box *chocolate cake mix (any chocolate will do) + ingredients called for to make this (oil, water, eggs, etc.)
  • 4 oz chocolate pudding mix (not cook and serve)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 bottle Hershey's Caramel Sauce
  • 1 8oz tub Cool Whip
Preheat oven to 350 degF. Put cake mix, ingredients called for on box, pudding mix, egg, and sour cream in a large bowl and mix well, 2-3 minutes.

Pour just under 1/4 C for each cupcake into cupcake pan. (Use papers! They save time and messes and they come in cute patterns.) Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Using a cookie cutter or a sharp knife, cut 1 inch circles in the tops of each cupcake. Remove circles and pour in two or three teaspoons of caramel syrup. Replace tops. If you aren't going to eat them right away, keep in fridge until ready to serve. The longer they sit, the more gooey the cupcakes get.

Top cupcakes with a dollop of Cool Whip just before serving and enjoy!
(Store leftovers in tightly sealed container in fridge.)

*You can replace the:
  • chocolate cake mix with a white or yellow.
  • chocolate pudding mix with vanilla.
  • caramel syrup with strawberry or chocolate, or even sweetened condensed milk. 
Very versatile by switching around a few ingredients.
I've had three of these today. And there are some left in my fridge that are calling my name. Darnit...
{:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.