Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade Biscuits

Today I made homemade biscuits FROM SCRATCH. This may not be a big deal to some people, but for me this was pretty big. I've never made them like this before. I usually use Bisquick or those cans that you pull the paper off and they pop open. (Does the suspense from opening those scare anybody else?) I was surprised at how quick and easy they were to make. I should have doubled the batch because we ate all 12 for lunch with some beef stew. But at least I know for next time. I go the recipe here from the Hillbilly Housewife, but I'm posting it below so you don't have to go find it if you don't want to.

2 C flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1/3 C shortening
2/3 C milk, buttermilk, OR yogurt
(I added 2 tablespoons of soft spread margarine the second time I made them. They weren't so dry, and the flavor went up a notch.)

  • In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Cut the shortening in with a fork, but leave pea-sized crumbs. (I tried using my hand and it just sucked.)
  • Add the milk and stir it into a soft dough. I put down a piece of freezer paper and sprinkled it with flour. (It makes cleanup much faster.) Then I dropped the dough on it and kneaded 10 times. You don't have to do it much. Just make sure you fold over, push together. Fold over, push together. (That's how you get the flaky layers.)
  • Roll out the dough until it's about 3/4" inch thick. (You can use your hands, but I LOVE my rolling pin. Have I mentioned that before?) If you don't have a biscuit cutter, you can use a can (think soup or tuna.) I used a 1/3 measuring cup for mine. I was able to make 14 biscuits. (When there wasn't enough dough to roll out and cut anymore, I just shaped it into two little biscuit balls.) 
  • Throw them in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. If you want them to look pretty, melt some butter and brush it on the tops of them.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I promise it goes by quickly.
See?

Crumbly flour.

 Floured surface. (freezer or waxed paper)

 Dough ball.

 Kneady.

Roll out.

Like my biscuit cutter?

1 batch = 14ish...

With the stew.
I know there isn't much on my plate, but it covers the needed food groups.
(Plus, I'd already eaten a few biscuits.) {:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.