Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cake, Cake, and Cake. Oh, and did I mention cake?

Today, I will be making cake. Two in fact. I have a Relief Society bbq tonight and I'm in charge of dessert, which makes me really happy. I LOVE making desserts. Almost any kind. And while I'm a little ashamed to say these won't be made from scratch, (big shoutout to Pillsbury) they still taste great. I've been told a couple times that I when I make a cake from a box, I do a great job of making it taste homemade. So, I'm hoping these turn out that way today.

The first cake I'll be making is called Better Than Sex cake, but since this is a church function, I've been calling it Procreating. G-rated for the sisters, of course.

Here's the gist:

  • 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix (any chocolate will do)
  • ingredients called for on boxes (usually eggs, oil, and water)
  • Large mixing bowl, preferably with cup measurements
  • spatula
  • 11x17 (or 12x16) cookie sheet (with raised edges)
  • hand mixer or wire whisk
  • 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 bag of Heath pieces or 4 Skor bars crushed to pieces
  • 1 tub of Cool Whip (I'm using the 16 oz for both cakes, so an 8 oz if you're only making one
  • butter knife
Preheat the oven to 350degF. Spray your pan with Pam, or coat it with shortening and flour. Mix both boxes of cake mix and their ingredients together. You'll end up with about 10 cups of batter, but you won't be using all of it. Pour about 7 1/2 cups in. That's 1 1/2 cakes if you think about it.
Bake it for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
After it has cooled, cut jagged lines just on the top of the entire cake and drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the cuts so that it can soak through the cake. You don't need much, but this cake is not about what you need. It's about what you want. And because we're talking about chocolate cake, you might as well make it the way you want and pour it on, right?
Sprinkle the candy bar pieces over the entire cake. Serve immediately with Cool Whip or refrigerate until serving. 

I'm not entirely sure how this cake's name came about, but I think it has something to do with the sounds people emit while eating it. Just a guess though.


Now, onto the Sinful Strawberry cake.

  • 2 boxes of white cake mix
  • ingredients called for on box (eggs, oil, water, etc.)
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can strawberry pie filling
  • Cool Whip
  • large bowl
  • spatula
  • hand mixer
  • 11x17 (or 12x16) cookie sheet (raised edges, of course)
  • butter knife
Preheat oven to 350degF.
Yet again, mix the boxes of cake mix with the oil, eggs, and water.
Add the pie filling, but don't use a whisk or hand mixer. I like to fold it in with a spatula so that there are still big chunks of strawberries in the cake. If you don't like chunks, use the hand mixer.
Pour onto your greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until you poke it with a toothpick, etc. This one is more moist so it needs extra time. After it has cooled, do the same thing, cutting lines and pouring on the sweetened condensed milk.
You can add fresh cut strawberries thrown with a bit of sugar on top if you want, but I don't have them. Nor do I have the time to go get them, so it's just sugary goodness for us. No pretties. {:
Like with the chocolate version, serve immediately or refrigerate until serving with a dollop of Cool Whip.

With this cake, it was too moist for me. I probably could have added a bit of flour to it and it would have turned out a little better. But at least I know for next time.

Now, for the leftover batter, I'd been dying to try out my new giant cupcake pan (that I got with my free $25 gift card from Steamy Kitchen, remember that?) So, I put the chocolate in the bottom and the strawberry batter in the top. No bueno. I should have switched because even though I sprayed the pan the strawberries still got stuck in the top and it did not come out well. But the girls ate it while I finished getting ready, so no pictures of my screw up. I have one picture of the Procreating cake, but it's not loading very fast so I may upload it later.

After the bbq:

The chocolate cake was a hit. I came home with just 4 pieces left. The ones that tried the strawberry said it was great, but I have tons leftover. However, many of the ladies are chocoholics like unto myself, so that's understandable.
Let me know if you make either of these cakes! You can e-mail me pictures at:
NSisifo (at) yahoo dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.