Thursday, November 3, 2011

Give Thanks

I almost didn't get this posted today. My husband got a last-minute ticket to Missouri and I haven't had access to my laptop until now. So, here it is.

I made this banner last year, but I really like it, so I'm sharing it now. {:



What you'll need:




Contact paper

Thanksgiving-themed scrapbook paper
Scissors or a straight edge cutter
Yarn or ribbon
Letters
Glue
Hole punch
Triangular pattern


I just did the triangles free-hand. It would have been nice to have a pattern, but you do what you can with what you have.


I cut out 11 triangles. Four for give, one for a space, and five for thanks.

Once you have them all cut out, center the letters on the triangles and glue them on. (The letters I used were like post-its, so I didn't glue mine.)

Now, comes the tricky/annoying part. Covering both sides with contact paper.
I found the easiest way, was to separate a piece of contact paper just enough that three triangles would fit. Lay them face down, pressing from the center and out. Once they are smoothed, separate more of the contact paper and fold it over on itself. This time, smooth from the folded edge to the end.


Cut them out, leaving a little bit of space on the edges.
Punch two holes in the top corners of each triangle
Cut 10 pieces of yarn into 3-inch strips, and two in 4-inch strips.


Tie each triangle, overlapping the first letter over the next. The two longer strips go on the ends for hanging.


And, voila.
Banna.


Obviously, this is subjective and you can switch the materials and sayings for any holiday. Here is an example of a Spring banner I made:


And this was for my nephew for Christmas:


And my other nephew:


Anyone planning on making something similar? These actually make great gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.