Friday, December 9, 2011

Wait a Minute Mr. Postman

Since I have discovered sites like Hip2Save and Freebies2Deal I get a TON of freebies and stuff in the mail. At least once a week I have a package. And while the mailman doesn't have to bring it to my door, he does. Every time he does ring the doorbell, it never fails that my kids and I are knee-deep in a project. Whether it's cleaning up a mess or a dirty diaper, it takes me a minute to get to the door. He's nice and patient and waits for me though. Which I appreciate very much.
Ever since I saw PostSecret's post about what he left for his mailwoman, I wanted to have a mailbox so that I could do that for someone. This year, I'm doin' it.


I hope he likes caramel popcorn, because that's what we made. But let me tell you, I'm cheap and easy. I found this receipe and lazied simplified it.


Here it is:


Caramel Corn


1 C brown sugar (I didn't pack it too tight, just gently pressed.)
1/2 C butter
1/4 C corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 regular bags of microwave popped popcorn


Pop your bags of popcorn. Remove the kernels and put the popcorn in a LARGE bowl. Set aside. Melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup and stir well. Microwave for 2 minutes without stopping. Take out of the microwave and stir again. It should be grainy at all. If it still is, throw it back in at 30 second increments.
Add the vanilla and baking soda. She said hers bubbled and stuff. Mine didn't. So there.
Pour over popcorn and toss and stir until it's pretty evenly coated. I don't like mine crunchy, so voila! I was done. I have to find a some cute bags so we can give it as gifts. If we don't eat it all first...


To make it festive, you could add red and green M&Ms or sprinkles or whatever.
If you like it crunchy, bake in a preheated oven at 275°F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.



I didn't eat it with the fork. 
I stirred it. Into my mouth...


My 5 year-old stealing some of the good stuff.
Okay, fine. This picture was staged.


Do you make homemade gifts for friends and neighbors?
If not, how do you find that perfect something at the store?

1 comment:

  1. ooh, this looks so good! i have to try the recipe. i'm a non-working mom, too! nice new blog. :) new follower. :)
    cheers!
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, tell me a story, or tell me I'm pretty. Just play nice.